Resume Fabrications on the Rise!

In a recent survey of 1000 workers and 300 senior managers, staffing agency The Office Team (a Robert Half Company) reported almost half (46%) of the respondents know someone who lied on their resume.   This represents a 21% increase from the same survey in 2011.

Men (51%) seemed to know more liars than women (39%), and lying apparently is more common with a younger the age group.  Among 18-34 year old, 55% report knowing resume fabricators while that number drops to 41% among 35 – 54 year-olds and 36% for the 55+ age group.

The most common lies known to be found on resumes relate to:

  • 76% Job Experience
  • 55% Job Duties
  • 33% Education
  • 26% Employment Dates

How do hiring managers feel about how often people try to pull one over their resumes?  48% responded that it’s “not very often” or “never!”

Lastly, only 38% responded that they have removed a candidate from consideration upon finding fabrications on their resumes!  What about the other 62%?  Would someone misrepresenting themselves misrepresent your products, services, and capabilities?  Steal company physical or intellectual property?

It’s always better to under-promise and over-deliver.  That’s the path to putting a halo on your company’s customer service, but will you get that from someone comfortable with over-promising on their experience & capabilities from the start?

If your company doesn’t have the resources to perform your due diligence, ask us how we can help with employment & education verifications, referencing, checking for civil judgments, credit history, criminal backgrounds as well as candidate personality profiling & job fit assessments.

Hire smart – Hire safe!

Resume Fabrications on the Rise!